Wednesday, November 21, 2007

It's a simple question

Which is the larger number: 60% or 2/3?

This isn't a trick or a riddle. Twice in the last week someone has told me that they aren't very good at math, so I asked them this simple question in order to see just how bad at math they are. The first person answered incorrectly and really had no idea how to figure out the answer (if it isn't readily apparent). The second person answered correctly, but then completely blew it when trying to explain.

Both of these people are college graduates (and presumably finished the fourth grade). It's not like I am all that great at math myself - I'm not trying to imply that I am or to feel superior to anyone. I just can't believe that there are reasonably intelligent adults that can't answer that question.

4 comments:

kenju said...

I am no good at math, but even I can answer that one!

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Josh Mueslix said...

I don't get it. Am I supposed to say that the answer cannot be determined because we do not know what number(s) is/are being expressed as a percentage or a fraction, respectively...Or am I supposed to say that 2/3 is larger than 60% because 2/3 expressed as a percentage is 66.6667 and 60% expressed as a fraction is 3/5? Or is it something else altogether? I even googled it because I didn't want to look like an asshole, but it turns out that I suck at google as much as I suck at math...

Josh Mueslix said...

I know you said that it wasn't a riddle, but I refused to believe that they were that dumb...Oh well...I hope to see you next week at my symposium on the difference between their, there and they're.

Pirate Ninja said...

I'm 66% sure that post was bullshit!