Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I was buying U.B. Funkeys before they were cool!

I saw in today's Kansas City Star that U.B. Funkeys is the new coolest fad. "It's a collectible, It's a game!" Well let me tell you something, I've been buying U.B. Funkeys for my step kid, literally, for years now!

U.B. Funkeys is a video game that you plug into your PC via a USB port. You buy a starter kit that has a base unit with the USB connection and comes with two of the Funkeys peripherals to plug into the base. You can buy more Funkeys and each one opens up different sections of the game. It's genius that's-how-they-get-you marketing.

Last fall my step kid started begging for U.B. Funkeys when he saw the ads on TV. Both my fiancee and I were like "Phhht, no you can't have those!" "That's just an expensive way to play the same games you can play at addictinggames.com!" But, as if he hadn't heard us, he kept on begging.

Then one day, my fiancee and I found ourselves at Target and found out how cheap the U.B. Funkeys are. It is only $20.00 for the starter kit and $5.00 for each Funkey. With no monthly fee for play, this is actually quite a video game bargain.

We quickly snatched up the starter kit and some funkeys and my step kid got a neat birthday surprise. He got more funkeys for Xmas and now he has quite the selection of the little critters. Plus, he plays with them, which is more than I can say for some of the more expensive toys he has.

So as you can see, Funkeys and I go way back. I can't wait to get my (I mean, my step kid's) hands on the new Funkiki Island expansion!